PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guinea visit
Thread: Guinea visit
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2010, 20:01
NG Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another View

Firebird, not knowing your own background, experiences, or temperament it's hard to say whether or not this would be right for you, but if you need work and they're offering it now, I wouldn't refuse then out of hand or based on the current political situation in Guinea. In short, I wouldn't overly fear for my own safety. I started in Guinea in 1999 and spent 6 months there at that time. I'm now in another country adjacent to Guinea and fly there weekly. Further, we have a crew based there and I sometimes have to fill in, meaning I spend some nights, and a few weeks there on a regular basis. Guinea is very poor and poorly developed, but things are looking up. I can't tell you there won't be some civil unrest as things normalize after the election, but they will normalize and the likelihood of you being caught up in any of it is actually quite small. The biggest irritations in Conakry are the frequent power interruptions (hours daily) and slow internet service. A good housing situation will have a well managed generator and the best internet available, such as it may be. If you need the work and the terms are fair and acceptable to you, I say go.