PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 21st Nov 2010, 14:49
Dingbaticus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the reasons you have heard little reasoned argument from Cabin Crew is fear of dialogue, especially through the internet. Whilst the ‘Bassa mentalists’ enjoy a good rant, the more moderate crew are wary of posting, due to the danger of dismissal for breaking Company regulations.

The Facebook debacles sadly taught us the dangers of expressing our thoughts in a public arena. The very public nature of pprune means it is considered by some to be ‘extreme surfing’, only for the very brave or very stupid! The hat debate making it into the newspapers as a cartoon proves how much we need to take care of what we post!

They say the first casualty of war is the truth and I personally believe both sides have employed the use of spin. There is disagreement about the exact number who took IA but I really want to bust the myth that it is just a ‘nutty minority’.

Just because the CSD does not brandish a yellow pen when you introduce yourself in the briefing or come marching into the flight deck waving a Unite flag when they give you their security checks does not necessarily mean they came to work!

Incidentally the yellow pen signifies support for the suspended and sacked, not that you took IA. Unfortunately others do not understand its meaning and then it unwittingly becomes become intimidatory.

Along with a number of my peers I feel it is important for CRM that every member of the team can look to me for support and trusts me. I believe in our industry it is vital that individuals feel safe and valued. That starts in the briefing where both the CSD and Captain set the tone. It has to be a balance between establishing the rules without alienating the team – a very tricky balancing act. If a CSD makes it obvious they took part in IA in the briefing, they have instantly alienated crew with a different view which is bad for CRM.

I don’t know the exact number who took IA but just because someone did, don’t assume they are unprofessional and don’t care about their Company or customers. It’s far more complex than that and with such a diverse community you will find a variety of motivating factors.

The postings made by Dingbaticus on this site are my own thoughts, feelings and beliefs and don’t necessarily represent my employers positions, strategies or opinions.