PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT Jet pilots - Visual approach stuff
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2002, 14:15
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Claret,
What about the bit before MUST? It says, "a pilot who desires a visual approach..." so you DON'T have to report Visual until you "desire" to do a visual approach, which obviously would be a damn-site les than 30nm. If we're quoting the books, let's have the whole quote, and nothing but the whole quote. The devil is in the detail! Of course, IF you want to eventually do a 5nm final, why not ask for "direct to 5nm final" (or a vector there), THEN call Visual later on, when you're ready?

Bushpig,
It is simple. ATC have NO obligation to continue assigning you lower altitudes AFTER you've called Visual, for obvious reasons: you've just accepted responsibility for the approach! So, it's simple: DON'T accept a Visual approach (or call Visual), until you are at, or have been assigned, an altitude that is OK for your type's profile and performance to do a visual landing without busting all the various altitude requirements.

I'm with Stupid:
This generally doesn't happen much these days: the controllers know what we need (we've trained them). But as I have said above, don't call Visual until they assign you the lowest Radar Lowest Safe so you CAN do a reasonably under-control 5nm final.

Kaptin M,
A few of your posts have been a bit sus lately: now I know why! You ain't an Oz dweller are you??!! "What's a DME Arrival?" You've gotta be joking! It's just another example of how Oz aviation is streets ahead of the rest of the world in efficiency, much to the chagrin and annoyance of AOPA, Dick Smith and the rat brigade.

Last edited by Capn Bloggs; 22nd Aug 2002 at 15:20.