PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 10:23
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are 2 subways from T2 to the remote stands, they were put there when T2 was built so the airport could have a cheap buget terminal built in know time
Absolute Rubbish

There was an idea to put ONE subway from the T2 building to the grass area opposite between the two aprons when T2 was being built. This was to serve a satellite pier (rather like ATL) which would be built at a later stage. And as this was in the late 1980s when T2 was being planned, low cost airlines in Europe hadn't been invented. Constructing the tunnel as T2 was being built would mean that the apron would not have to be dug up later when the Satellite Pier was built.

As I remember the cost was over £10 million and it was eventually decided not to invest this money on a facility that wouldn't be used for several years at least, if at all. With hindsight, the right decision!

As far as Lo-cost Terminals (aka Gil's shoe box) are concerned, there were ideas to construct one in the area of Staff West Car Park or on the SE corner of the airfield around Moss Lane. There are 2 problems at this latter location - it is in green belt and would also be in the Public Safety Zone for the second runway. And the business case never stacked up

Given excess runway capacity and seemingly not enough terminal space for expansion
Didn't the existing Terminals once handle 22million instead of the 17 million today? Don't tell me that the refurbishment of all the terminals has lead to this massive reduction in capacity. I don't think so because when growth restarts they would have to build again. Not a very sound business case...

Suzeman