PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2008 onwards) Part 2
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 04:50
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA CPL SEL IR 2nd Class Medical
300 TT, 75 IFR, 30 IMC (I live in Oregon), 10 ME (but not MEL), 100 XC
No type ratings, but time in type: C150, 152, 172, 172XP, 172RG, 182, 310, PA24, 28, 28R, M20C

English (Fluent / Native), Spanish (Fluent), French (Fairly Fluent), Italian (little), Japanese (little)

Bachelors. 25 years business experience, in Information Systems, 15 years management. This will be a career change for me.

I understand that to "get on" at one of the places in Maun, or Windhoek, one needs to hang out for a while (3 months? or more?) and keep in contact with the companies / chief pilots - that's clearly stated on several sites (company sites and blogs). I have read through dozens, if not hundreds of pages of information, including company sites, blogs, and forum messages. What I have not been able to learn is the following:

What is the best time of the year to arrive? (to reduce the total time on the ground waiting - I assume it's difficult to get a part time job in a town like Maun if one is waiting for a pilot job)
How much does it cost per day to stay in Maun? Windhoek? others?
Is the hiring season the same for all the locations? for all the companies in the same town/city?
How hard is it to get around Maun if one does not have a car, or is a car required?
Is there public transportation in Maun? Winhoek? Between the two?

I think this information would be wonderful to include in this thread if anyone is so inclined, so thank you for taking the time to respond (in advance).

-Andy