PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So what exactly does the JAR-PPL really allow you to do?
Old 19th Nov 2010, 18:56
SunnyDayInWiltshire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive replies

PPruNe is a great resource for questions like this. Thanks to all for the helpful and informative answers, which cleared up a few of my misunderstandings.

@Gertrude: You probably have the most realistic answer . I will need to add a new column to my log to count up the number of bacon butties consumed per trip.

@backpacker/IO540: State of Registry is clearly the key. I hadn't realised the concession specific to N-reg allowing use where you have a local license. So I could fly N-reg here in the UK, but not abroad to France.

@tmmoris/dublinpilot: I'd incorrectly picked this up from the NPPL license restrictions, so no specific pax or power limits apply to the PPL license per se.

@englishall/tmmoris: I found the FAA PPL does specifically limit MTOW to 12,500 lbs. I looked up the LASORS to see if there is a similar weight or pax restriction for JAR PPL but couldn't find any reference.

So I guess in theory, I could do a type rating on the A380, pack it full of non-paying passengers and as long as I keep clear of Class A airspace and obey Rule 5, would be free to overwhelm the bacon butty counter anywhere with a suitable runway.

Anyway, my little brown package with the license arrived today - exactly 2 weeks to the day I sent the paperwork off - so I can now look forward to a wide range of canteen cuisine from airfields around the country.