PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA
Old 19th Nov 2010, 15:37
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B2N2, you're reasonable, helping guy. Why this willy waving thing?

The cost you quote is more about the extortionate cost of UK CAA, plus overpriced 'JAA FTOs' in Florida. (IK CAA does most of the approvals for 'JAA' training in the US, especially the FTOs that aren't doing cadet schemes for some mainland continental Europe countries).
There are cheaper ways to do conversion to European CPL/IR, yet I'm not saying it would be as cheap as getting FAA CPL.

Regardless of TSA/SEVIS/M1/visa 'fee' stuff, the training cost he was quoted for the crash course conversion was the issue he had.
IF, I mean IF, he complies with all the XC PIC time, IR training etc, considering, say 200-250 bucks an hour dual in some complex SE aircraft. Hm.
How many individual checkrides would he need for FAA multi CPL with IR, if he doesn't need to build the ME and instrument ME hours? Sure, 500 dollars a pop or so, it can add up. That's why I am asking.

There isn't enough information as to what that quote includes and what it doesn't, so hard to judge the hourly pricing.

He obviously wants to be able to fly N-reg in Europe. He's got all the European papers sorted already. Some postsers don't read sambel's first post. I sent him PM about the FAA examiner guy in Europe - if he ticks all the boxes as per CFR/FARs, it'd be easier, avoiding dropping to US. He'd still need couple hours with FAA CFI and doing the TSA I presume (now that's one of the weird things, doing security clearance to train in the US, when collecting certificates outside US soil...)

TSA got plenty publicity in the media these days, for other reasons.