PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Joe Eakins: Brave?....or....
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2010, 21:22
A. Le Rhone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too don't work for JQ so I apologise if I am giving advice from 'outside' however we are all inside the industry.

Firstly; if it is true Joe has been terminated (any proof of this?) this is an attempt by JQ to intimidate all of you. It is a blatant effort to take an already cowering, scared and subservient group and keep them living in grovelling fear. I don't know how you folks can live like that.

Secondly; What more proof do you guys need that some drastic action is required? Again I accept that it's easy for an outsider to make such bold statements but you are the guys living with this nonsense. Unfortunately I agree that all the meetings and endless talk, talk, talk and PPRUNE rhetoric mean nothing unless you actively and concertedly DO SOMETHING TANGIBLE & SIGNIFICANT. It doesn't have to be to strike etc but you do need to have an impact on the bottom line to show you are a group that can't continuously be spat on and laughed at as you are at present.

The CEO is simply stating your displeasure is just AIPA posturing and he is getting airtime for this. However there are many non-AIPA members equally as disenfranchised and then there is the very grave safety implications of the path that JQ management are taking (for the love of god I can't understand their stupidity in this regard) and yet this is getting no airtime! Employing dodgy pilots in dodgy bases to avoid Australian laws and standards is a recipe for disaster and nobody is highlighting this.

Finally; Joe's article was an eloquent, non-inflammatory and factual precis of the state of the industry. If this story is true, not only must he be supported financially by Australian pilots until he's back on his feet, but this is a perfect PR case for any pilot association (AFAP, AIPA) etc to really hammer and take public. Not only are JQ trying to bypass Australian civil aviation standards and regulations they are attempting to supress the truth by terminating anybody who dares to bring this reality to the attention of the travelling public - the very people who will sadly be affected by the safety implications of JQ's actions.

Something is very smelly in the aviation world in Australia and to be fixed it needs ACTIONS, not words on PPRUNE.