PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 17th Nov 2010, 20:26
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
btw you could have used SHAG - Short Haul At Gatwick
Hmm. I think I like it, essessdeedee! It's going to go perfectly with our new LGW union, the British Airways Gatwick Stewards/Stewardesses....

One thing that is not helping is the Uniform stores refusal/inability to replace worn out items. It's much easier to look smart when you have a brand new uniform than once it is a few months old and is shiny and saggy. Telling a crew member that his shirt is grey and him saying that he's tried and can't get any replacements is most frustrating.
That's actually a very valid point and is a major problem at both of the Uniform Stores and not just with replacement uniform. I had one crew member that had a uniform so big, she looked like she'd been in her Mum's dressing up box. When I asked her about it, she said that the lady in Uniform Stores insisted she have a uniform that size as flying makes you bloated. Not that much, it doesn't! (She was a size 8, the uniform was a size 14!) It was only when I stood the crew member in front of the managers, with her agreement, and insisted that they sent an email to the stores that she managed to get a uniform that fitted properly.

Yes, we do have issues with uniform standards, (although it doesn't help when BA's own brand new MH training video features a girl who's hair style breaks every rule in the book), but this is something that really needs sorting urgently, particularly as already mentioned, when it comes to replacement uniform. There's only so many times you can bleach a shirt before it falls apart. I'm starting to think the staff there work on some sort of reverse commision!

Finally, good to hear that others are also cracking down on behaviour too. Let's just hope that BA back us up on it, something that historically, they haven't always been very good at. The boast from a now ex crew member of three charges of gross misconduct bears that out!