PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 15th Nov 2010, 22:04
TorC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boondocker
Historically SCCMs, both CSDs and Pursers, have been poor at this preferring to 'overlook' even the most basic issues such as missing name badges etc. Indeed, extend this inability/unwillingness to manage such trivia to other areas e.g. standards of product delivery and customer service then you will not be far off understanding why BA is so inconsistent.
On the occassions that I've asked SCCMs about these kind of examples, the most often given reply is along the lines of "not wanting to cause an atmosphere", "not wanting to upset anyone", or "well, maybe it's just a one-off". In other words, total avoidance of responsibility. Especially sickening considering the salary they are on, and the job spec they supposedly understood and accepted when going for the role.

To be fair, I do also ask if the SCCM feels that they get the required support from the company if they feel a crew member is under-performing, and seemingly, most of them feel that they don't.

I take my IFAs seriously, but often feel that they are rendered useless by the "I'm really sorry, but I HAVE to say something negative" attitude of (I'm very sorry to say) most SCCMs. Where is the backbone, the leadership, the inspiration? If I'm doing something well, tell me. If I'm underperforming, tell me. But please, whatever the case, just tell me HONESTLY, record it on the IFA, and let it be dealt with.

To be honest, Performance Management as it currently seems to exist, just leaves me feeling that I'm in a vacuum, isolated from reality. The system seems to serve no purpose (with a few noteable exceptions) other than box ticking (ie: CSDs/PSRs need to complete X number of IFAs per month).