PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF17 to Argentina Turnback
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 20:55
RampDog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Just backing up on KB's post, why is it that the media haven't made a major comment on the air return of SQ212 yesterday. I watched the SQ 744 taxi back to Bay 25 with 2 fire tenders following, and my first thought was "I bet this isn't mentioned in the news tonight". If it was a security issue and obviously not a blown donk or smoking cockpit, is that not newsworthy, given the paranoia that the media whips up over aviation security. In line with the current trend of reporting any issue with aircraft making returns, we should expect unbiased reporting (disregard accurate, that's not in the equation!) from our newspapers and elecronic media. Perhaps they should all set aside a daily round up of aviation breakdowns, schedule disruptions and even provide links to aviation websites, because there is obviously plenty of marketable public interest (i.e filling media space between the ads!). When they get bored with that they could include train, bus and motor vehicle accidents and incidents, there would be no space left for ads!
One other point, can any journalist reading this explain why the Emirates A340 tail strike incident in Melbourne in March 2009, doesn't ever get mentioned (it was bordering on catastrophic), while Qantas is always fair game? Is the media's agenda to topple another "tall poppy", we Aussie's have become experts at that!
End of rant