PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 15th Nov 2010, 19:51
Boondocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colonel White:

I suspect that the winnowing of older contract crew will occur when BA start instituting performance management across the board. It is worth noting that large parts of the airline have been operating this for some time and it is one of the features of MF. It can only be a matter of time before it is rolled out across all of IFCE. I'm sure there will be those who will wish to resist it. They'll probably be the ones with most to lose. Anyone who is at the very least pulling their weight has nothing to fear from it. The backsliders and teflon shouldered ones (and they occur in all organisations) will need to shape up or ship out.
ottergirl

The on-board performance is assessed by the SCCM every 120 days and, while I accept that the standard of the assessment varies from person to person, I suspect that the same will apply to MF. It seems that you have been misinformed on our Performance Management process.
essessdeedee

Every 30 days on Mixed fleet. plus an annual review for every crewmember
I think the Colonel is talking, not about IFA's (inflight assessments) which by the way are to be completed every 90 days not 120 as BASSA claim (another instance of BA being unable to run their own business) but more about the performance management that should be happening on a continuous basis whilst you are at work including downroute.

Historically SCCMs, both CSDs and Pursers, have been poor at this preferring to 'overlook' even the most basic issues such as missing name badges etc. Indeed, extend this inability/unwillingness to manage such trivia to other areas e.g. standards of product delivery and customer service then you will not be far off understanding why BA is so inconsistent.

It is also one of the reasons Messrs Talling-Smith and Hassell decided to remove the upperdeck Purser whilst at the same time orchestrate the removal of another at some point in the future. They didn't believe the Purser role contributed anything onboard and that is why MF only has one supervisory grade.

Interestingly, the CM has performance related pay in this regard and will have to demonstrate an ability to manage their crew and follow up any performance isssues through the Crew Management System, not just complete an assessment form every 30 days.

On MF this will help to ensure that the non-performers are managed out of the company. As the Colonel's post implies, the sooner current SCCMs have to do the job they are paid to do and are themselves managed accordingly, the better.