PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to train for a PPL North of London
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 18:31
IanPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cha, Andoni, Miroko, Jev

Thanks for that. I'm going to do exactly as you mention. I'll do a trial in Denham, and another in Elstree, and see which I like best.

As for location, I live at the bottom of the M1 and drive a motorbike (so traffic tends to be less of an issue!). Elstree is 15 mins away max, Denham 35 mins. However, I did a test run on the way to and from work (assuming I will do my lessons first/last thing and manage to grab an hour off and make up the time) and its exactly the same time from work, to airfield, to home either way.

Panshanger is not on my list right now. I am sure different people have different experiences, but I'm just not interested in handing over a wodge of money to someone and then having to find out whether or not I like them. I expect whoever I learn from to be competent and professional, and it just sounds a bit hit and miss with Panshanger from what I've read (I may be being totally unfair).

As for cabair, its the cost more than anything. I am sure they don't have so many students go through and become commercial pilots by being anything less than capable, but I just don't have the extra money for it (or, not with budgeting for more than 55 hours). Right now, if it was purely about cost, I would go for a 3 axis microlight, but I reckon I can stretch to the PPL with Firecrest or Pilot centre, and that gives me more options later on.

Thanks for all the help so far, and keep the advice coming. Especially anyone who flies at elstree or denham.

IPZ