PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF17 to Argentina Turnback
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2010, 10:32
givemewings

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vb has half the planes but have not had any noticeable incidents in a while.
That the media know about. What we have here as previously mentioned is media selecting what they want to publish, to meet their own agenda. "Qantas Bashing" is becoming a sport. Yes, they have issues, as do many carriers, and yes, there are things which do need to change within Qantas- all which have been discussed in depth on other threads.

However the point made about other carriers not getting a mention is very relevant. I recall that during the last round of QF-centric media attention (circa QF 72) there were numerous incidents concerning DJ (a couple of slides blown, bird strike necessitating engine change etc etc) that never even made it to press.

Whether that's down to the media hounding QF, or QF's crap PR department, I'm not sure. However as a CC I do agree that sometimes the pilots give too much information. In this day of the "instant internet expert" the pax have all Googled the terms on their iPads and then get freaked out over things that in the scheme of things aren't going to bring a plane down, but have in movies. So they email the media (SMH being a big offender with their "Know someone on this flight? Call us on 1800-hysteria" tagline) and tell them about something which would otherwise have gone unmentioned in the media.

I think it's only going to get worse in this digital age. Does anyone know if QF have ever gone after any of the pax posting stupid "Drama in the skies" videos of incidents on YouTube? Many of them clearly show landing phases of flight and use of electronics like mobiles is not permitted. No mention by the media of those people pontentially endangering the flight and/or breaking laws there, oh that's right without thsoe vids they've got no hysterical stories!!!