PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 14th Nov 2010, 18:47
TorC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chesh01 (#1307)

Chesh01

I'm right there with you on this.

But while those of us who are engaged and professional enough can do what we can individually, the effects of it is sadly at risk of being diluted by those of our colleagues who choose not to bother. I'm thinking here of me, recently on a 767 with 6 others, none of whom, as Colonel White suggests, were "thinking Customer" but merely going through the motions (and in a couple of extreme cases, not even managing to do that).

Like me, you have probably experienced the blank stares (or worse) when you've said something pro-BA, or just something positive in general. On many occassions I've been told that I'm too keen, and that I didn't have to do this, that or the other for a customer. What the heck else could I possibly do, stuck on a Boeing for X hours? Oh yes, silly of me .... I should be reading the Daily Mail I suppose. It's even worse on the occasions that these sort of comments come from the SCCM, the very one who's there to set the standard, and manage it!

Going through the terminals, I'll willingly stop to offer assistance. But of course, then I'm told to hurry-up as I'm delaying the crew in their mad dash to the car park. A lot seem to forget that they are wearing the BA uniform and are therefore still representing the company, even after having left the aircraft. I've worked with many who seem to think the job is over and done with at the "Doors to manual" call.

So, what to do? Yes, certainly individually we can raise our games, but will have to be prepared to take the flak for doing so. Quite ridiculous, and so very wearing, to be constantly submersed in such a negative environment.

To my mind, for far too long now, the wheat and chaff have been mixed together. Can we look to BA to help us seperate them I wonder?

(I'll quickly just add that while much of the ethos of MF appealed to me, the LH flying and people management (as I'd have gone for CSM) aspect didn't).