PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RPT Jet pilots - Visual approach stuff
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2002, 14:03
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RPT Jet pilots - Visual approach stuff

Howdy all,
Had an interesting conversation with a jet pilot the other morning about Visual Approach procedures at night. The pilot called visual at 32 miles with an assigned altitude of 3000ft and was issued a VSA at 28 miles. The pilot asked if he could "track via a 5 mile final" which the controller answered "afirm". Next thing the pilot asks for futher descent as, according to him, the procedure ATC cleared him by left him at 3000ft until 5 miles from touchdown. The ATC gave him the radar LSALT (after some harsh words by the acft: we need the LSALT now!!!) and the acft subsequently performed the VSA.

My question is, if the acft was under its own nav (tracking via a 5 mile final) even at night, why should a VSA restrict the descent of a jet? Is this just a company thing? I questioned this and said if you were under RADAR VECTORS then yes, you would have to be assigned the radar lowest safe, but as you were under your own nav, you can descend in accordance with AIP. AIP stated that IFR at night can get a VSA at night inside 30NM, and that the pilot should maintain 500ft above the base of CTA and the descend in accordance with the DME/GPS plates until within 5NM of the runway (ie, no restriction on descent).

I just want to get this clear in my head what you jet type pilots think: what would you do when issued a VSA approach at night from 28NM previously assigned 3000ft with no vectoring? I just didn't like the pilot's attitude, and I quote, "I am right, you are wrong, and will be putting paperwork in through my company." This is not the best way to discuss procedures.

Looking for some input from jet pilots. Why would they say this and do this? I think the controller was correct but hell, what can you do except nod politely and say, "Yes captain"

And the games begin....

Cheers, NFR.