PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 13th Nov 2010, 10:45
MrBunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah MissM, another blinding dose of BASSA inspired reality.

Of course, it's her/BA's fault that she's getting asinine or vitriolic comments from crew who went on strike, it's her/BA's fault that a proportion of crew do not know how to conduct themselves in a professional context given their belief that they represent the apotheosis of everything British Airways and, as such, are allowed to disregard any rule or convention they don't feel they should conform to, unless sanctioned by the increasingly histrionic Holley and his aggrieved ego. The fault, as much as it won't play with the man or woman on the BASSA omnibus, lies with individuals who don't know how to conduct themselves in an adult manner in an industrial dispute.

Like it or not, all the teddies that have been flung, all the foul words and all the insinuations of character have come from Unite, the sub-branches and their supporters. The worst you've heard from BA has been the word dysfunctional and I think that, at best, encourages debate and is not as insulting as 90% of the comms issued by the other side.

I do, however, agree with you that she should not be allowed demotion to Psr. The signal it would send to those determined to disrupt everything on the back of their grievances would be intolerable.

BlueUpGood

In essence I agree with you but the practicalities don't necessarily bear out in day to day working, partly for the reasons outlined above.

We're dealing, if you will, at times, with an asymmetric style of conflict in that many crew follow the beat of the BASSA drum and believe it's their moral right to attempt to subvert and undermine their superiors. The threats to CSDs carrying out upgrades at the behest of the Capt. still continue apace (certainly on WW) and, I can readily see after a while, why some CSDs just throw their hands up in the air and wonder why they bother (although it's noteworthy that many continue nonetheless at a cost to themselves of a good deal of energy and stress).

There's a signal failure on the part of many crew to accept that, on the day, they have on-board superiors in rank, be that purser, CSD, FO, Capt. and BASSA actively foster subtle dissent with their inflammatory rhetoric. I can vouch for the fact that most on-side CSDs are standing up but it must be noted that it is an actively draining issue dealing with individuals or cliques who think that their choice of insubordinate behaviour is justified by some sort of higher moral authority outwith their contractual obligations. Occasionally, no matter how authoritative the CSD, escalation to the Capt. is often the only way to dampen the militant fervour and, dare I say it, put the fear of formal action into the agitator.

After all, it's "BASSA 'till i die" for the new mantra. For goodness sakes.

MrB

Last edited by MrBunker; 13th Nov 2010 at 10:57.