PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 12th Nov 2010, 09:03
BlueUpGood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MF, hats etc..

IMHO What has been completely overlooked / ignored by BASSA, but recognized by everyone else in BA, is that we are a business that can no longer rest on our past glories. We have to modernize, evolve and improve, just to stand still against the competition, be it low cost, or gulf carriers.

This whole dispute is about BA being able to effect change on board, without the condescending approval of BASSA, usually at a price that makes change untenable. BA tried to engage BASSA and get a change to the dysfunctional relationship of old, but BASSA couldn't hack it, and BA have now understandably opted to push BASSA so far into the margins it becomes irrelevant, and BA can get on with evolving it's product and standards.

MF is simply the cabin service standard that BA wants for todays business environment, and yes, it looks quite different from what we have at the moment.

Before anyone leaps down my throat - I am NOT saying they are better than existing crew, but I will say that they are not burdened with the bitterness, vitriol and hatred for the business that pays their wages, as a significant number of existing crew are. Let's face it, the bitter and twisted hardliners simply drag down morale amongst the rest of the crew, and this has a tangible effect on board.

Having flown with MF I can tell you they are dedicated to doing the very best job they can for our customers, and take great pride in their new role, despite their lower earnings. Having experienced the positive and happy atmosphere on board, I am certain all the legions of dedicated hard working legacy crew would jump at the chance to work in that sort of atmosphere, but the mindset of the 1970's won't let them.

The fundamental error in this dispute has been for BASSA to allow emotion to dominate. That is to say, 'we hate CC89', 'we hate WW', 'we hate scabs', 'we hate pilots' etc. They will NEVER win a negotiation in the modern era without dealing in facts, they spectacularly failed to do that across the board, from signing a confidentiality agreement so they could see the state of BA's finances, to dreaming up cost savings that were based on pure fantasy, to wishing judges were in the pocket of BA and so on.

So to the nub of my post.... Nobody likes to be sidelined, or to feel second best, or to lose, or back the wrong horse, but in a business the size of BA that's simply irrelevant. MF is the standard of uniform, look, service, professionalism and demeanor that BA, our employers, and the business that pays our mortgages, wish to see onboard in 2011 and beyond. Frankly thinking BA are simply trying to tick you off by giving them hats, or a desk in any particular location in CRC is nonsense. If there desk was by the coffee shop, would that be better or worse? Or the same?

Time to stop viewing the world in emotional terms, and get real. BA is a business that MUST evolve. You can join in and be a part of it, or sulk in the corner and have a miserable time. Or leave.