PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are there so many pilots?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 21:58
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are two main reasons why people want to be pilots. Some are like me, a dumb ass, head in the clouds enthusiast who just wants to fly. Nothing will stop those types. No amount of negativity, no amount of common sense. Nothing.

Many get there but find it's not as good as they thought it would be. It's a job after all. In my case, I realise now it was a huge mistake. Others are more lucky. Sometimes it's the best job in the world. But only sometimes.

Then there's the people who want to be airline pilots because of it's perceived status, money, lifestyle etc. They're the ones who are caught by the flight school propaganda. 'Be an airline pilot in 18 months'. Once disillusioned they are the most bitter and are puzzled as to why they haven't been picked up by an airline within weeks of leaving their expensive 'college of flying'.

On the other hand many people get the job, enjoy it with all it's compromises. It is better than the 9 to 5 drudge. Actually these days it more like 8 to 6. I've been there done that. Flying is better even if in my case I cannot make a decent living at it.

One of my sons has just had a small eye problem. It would probably disqualify him from being a commercial pilot. I'm almost relieved.