PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peter Nielsen murderer to be retried
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2010, 13:32
kontrolor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thealps - from your emotional responce I would guess, that you are ATCO from Skyguide. Belive me, I'm very well informed of the events from IFATCA and other organisations I took part in.

First he cleared the B757 to climb to FL 320 and at time
21.26.36 to climb to FL 360. At time 21.30.11 the T-154
called in.

http://www.humanfactors.illinois.edu.../nuneslaur.pdf

look, from my first days as ATCO I was imprinted with the notion, that it is of vital importance to be able to select priorities and to solve problems, which can have the grawest results first. Peter failed in that. I dont and never will say nor think that the responsibility for the crash lays exclusively in his hands. Part of the solution was in his hands and he failed to do his part, because he made a bad choice. Rest assure, that I know exactly what were the circumstances at the moment when he had to make a decision.... But one of the general rules of horisontal separation of traffic is NEVER to put two or more flights on converging course on the same level if constant attention cannot be assured.

Now, I'm very well informed about the concepts of non-punitive environment, but this doesn't releave us from the responsibilites. You can't expect from me to accept the idea that loss of separation and catastrophe are on the same level?

If you do and if you are an ATCO, you should consider some other profession...