PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC wheels up ldg
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2010, 20:42
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MATT
As an ex-CTCer, I don't recall completing an asymmetric cct in the DA42 where the "dead" engine power lever wasn't advanced to the point that the gear warning stopped operating (simulated feathered setting) once the dead engine had been simulated switched off; the usual pratice was for the instructor to do this so as to avoid the obvious trap that seems to have been assumed in the above posts
From what I have heard some instructors used to (perhaps still do) this but it is not standard procedure from what I have heard. The power setting required to silence the horn is slightly above that which has been determined to be the "true zero thrust" setting.

(It's also pretty irritating to listen to so why wouldn't you cancel it as soon as is sensible?).
Would agree with you 100% on this

Currently it would seem it is standard procedure is to use "true zero thrust", as is evidenced by the racket that can be heard every time a radio transmision is made while they are operating single engine.

but it seems a little premature to make a whole series of sweeping statements about the quality of CTC's training / procedures based on very little fact
I think there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to show that the pilots had most likely been desensitised to the warning horn.

Asymmetric circuits were being conducted at the time, which results in the gear warning sounding throughout the simulation.
This excerpt from a previous post from the accident brief off the CAA website would prove this as well.