PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - UK facing shortage of pilots
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2010, 11:01
Snoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyle RB and others.

I did a self sponsored Cap 509 course. When I left college even the TP operators wanted 1000hours tt. I was caught out by 9/11. I had 2 job offers which were both pulled.

I ended up renting my flat and flying aerial photography in a 172 for peanuts. This led on to a job flying the legendary Aztec for a survey company, getting paid chips and then the C404 and C402 in single pilot survey and air taxi roles where finally I could afford Beer. I then went on to fly a large TP and am now flying one of the first of the new generation (last of the old!) Jets. The fantastic B757. I have NEVER paid for a type rating.

When times were bad after 9/11, I came close. Even then it seemed FUNDEMENTALLY WRONG to pay for training that should be provided by your employer, using their SOPS. I am so glad I didn't. If I had I would have missed out on the best bit of my career so far, all that great experience and fun I had flying the 172 and the twins. If I could get paid what I earn now I would go back and do that tomorrow. It has been the most rewarding task orientated flying I have done.

If people can't afford to work as an instructor, glider tugging, para dropping, or aerial photography after they have paid for the course then they can't afford to do it. Period.

Those that shelve out for a type rating, it does not guarantee a job. So that is another 20 grand blown. Take that cash and get your FI or live in a caravan flying for peanuts (at least you are getting paid something) and live off the 20 grand that would have been spent on the A320 type rating you guys think you need to feel like a real pilot.

A true professional spends time gaining exposure and experience, learning the tools of the trade.