PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 10th Nov 2010, 03:15
pcat160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long will it be before one of the retiring General Secretaries of Unite has to “Take One for the Team” and tell BASSA/CC89 that there will be no vote for Industrial Action much less an actual Strike. Look at the upside and downside for Unite if there is actually a strike. Unless a new justification for IA can be found that Unite’s legal council will guarantee (guarantee may be too strong) is not a continuation of the previous IA Unite can not authorize a strike ballot. The potential liability to Unite could be significant. In the US we would ask outside council for an opinion letter. Even if this issue could be dealt with there are other costs to Unite of a strike. Legal expenses defending their reason for striking as well as legal expenses defending those that may be terminated could be substantial and ongoing for a long time. There would also be the expense of strike pay. What could be accomplished other than causing BA some financial stress? Nothing, but Mixed Fleet would grow rapidly and BA would be rid of some employees they do not need.
Even if a strike was called, how many would actually strike? Not many in my opinion. This time any reasonable person (I know there may be a good number that do not qualify) will know the consequences of striking. What Staff Travel they have will be gone, they may be sacked and have to deal with that through the system, and BA will continue to operate the majority of their flights. What could be gained by a striker? Would some BASSA/CC89 supporter please let me know.