PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC wheels up ldg
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2010, 20:49
osmosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As needed...

In training we all do what the training school/instructor requires of us. In my day, this was invariably mnemonics; and, in my opinion, unnecessarily complicated ones at that. As a student in early days a long time ago, I too, used to run through this long list of letters, rattling it all out so the instructor could hear how diligent I was. But in doing so I realised that each individual item was not being attended to. Enter the real world (aka the workplace) and my training continued in a different line. Watch an agricultural pilot at work, he does everything that is needed but nothing unnecessary, particularly in landing cycles of only a few minutes. A quick glance at fuel quantities, apply flaps and trim, a note of wind direction for control input and not a whole lot else. No incessant "hatches/harness" or "magnetos both on" checks. For way too long I suspect the schools have focussed on the methodology of the checks and not the actual physical items themselves, notwithstanding students inexperience of course.