PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 7th Nov 2010, 21:55
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've been doing the sums and am quite staggered by the figures. Now to start with, I may have the BASSA monthly subs wrong, so would be obliged if someone can correct me on this. My belief is that they run out at £16pm. Based on a membership of 9000 that means BASSA hauls in £1.73M per year. If the branch sec cops 5% of this, that totals £86,400 p.a. Now I seem to recall that Mr Holley's reason for dismissal was due to his non-attendance on days he was rostered for duty. His defence was that he needed the time for union duties. Clearly, if he is raking in over £86k, courtesy of the membership, he can afford to take a few days unpaid leave to sort out any union work. Had he taken this tack, he might have still been employed.

As far as Duncan's assertion that he will hang in til next year before gving up the job of BASSA branch secretary, I wonder if this has anything to do with being able to draw a pension then. In the meantime he seems to be determined to milk the branch for every penny he can lay his mitts on. Are the BASSA supporters happy to have someone who is not a BA employee and not cabin crew creaming off a proportion of their subs ? What justification is there for paying this person who cannot call a strike ballot, is unaffected by the working conditions of branch members, holds no real power outside of the branch and yet seeks to affect the livelihoods of so many. It's not even like paying a consultant. With them, if they give you duff advice, you can sue.