PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 12:26
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi wanna be there / all

I must respectfully disagree with you on this occasion. Let's keep things in proportion: my earlier posting does not imply that the travelator / escalator issue is amongst the most important facing society today, of course not. Nor do I suggest that any rational person would judge an entire region based upon afew non-functional escalators (although this does significantly influence the first impression). But it is still a relevant issue - especially as part of a discussion on the topic of customer service at Manchester Airport. An issue which can be easily resolved with a straightforward solution (fitting motion sensors). And that solution offers the benefit of reducing energy costs as a bonus.

I take your point that this issue has become boring. But do you not recognize why it has become boring? It is because this issue has been left unresolved at Manchester Airport for YEARS, and therefore returns to haunt us on a regular basis. And it seems that MAG management is now intent on a course of action which will make the problem worse.

The 'PP' element of the PPRuNe title stands for "Professional Pilots". All working professional pilots must pass a regular class 1 medical examination. Likewise ATC staff, airport firefighters and many other regular contributors to this forum. It can be difficult for some of those who enjoy excellent health to empathize with the needs of others who do not; it is understandable. However, I cannot make excuses for those who put forward the playground bully approach: let the fat *******s walk - it'll do them good! They're probably chavs anyway etc. The "I'm alright, Jack!" approach. The airport's customers, even those you may consider beneath your social status, deserve a fit-for-purpose airport experience ... which, incidentally, they pay for as a component of their airfare.

I have in the past traveled with an elderly passenger. I have also accompanied a passenger who had a broken leg. Neither of these were people who apparently 'deserve' contempt from certain PPRuNe readers for eating too much or exercising too little in their prime. Real people have to deal with real problems, and the airport's passenger infrastructure is designed to offer solutions to those. Let's just make sure the equipment works. If the alternative in each case is to take up wanna be there's suggestion to "get special assistance, it is readily available", the ultimate cost to the airport will be much higher as a greater number of marginal customers realize that they cannot cope without special assistance after all. However, maybe providing individual assistance to all those less-able customers instead of letting pre-installed technology do the job could greatly assist in reducing Wythenshawe's unemployment problem!

We will all become elderly one day (at least that is my ardent hope for all my fellow readers of this forum!). We may even break a limb or two along the way. In my case, I intend to keep right on traveling regardless - for as long as I am able to do so. I hope that most of you will have the same positive attitude as you age, and in the meantime not condemn those who have already reached an advanced age, yet keep supporting our airport with their business anyway. Good for them, I say! For us on these boards to take the attitude: "let the lazy ******s walk a bit ... it'll do them good" is actually pretty shameful when you think about it.

Like it or not, elderly people, infirm people, jetlagged people, and yes - even people who eat too many pies, are our customers too. They deserve and pay for a level of service which Manchester Airport should be proud to offer. Old and fat people pay our wages too - their repeat-business must be encouraged if the airport is to thrive. We need to remember that at all times. There is no place for schadenfreude and sniggering. The airport absolutely *needs* to provide a travel experience which all customers - real people, not just athletes - will CHOOSE to book over and over again. Manchester Airport's customers deserve the best service which can reasonably be provided for the fee they pay, and that does include working escalators and travelators.

SHED.