PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 08:49
squib66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
II

It was probably manual because it was introduced very late in 2002 and their was a massive rush (even though 2 years before entering service) to certify to meet the presidential helicopter deadline.

The S-92 filter is still bolted to the casing with 3 bolts (a crazy arrangement as with 4 bolts they would have been able to survive failures). The oddity is by splitting the housing, Sikorsky have introduced another flange that can leak!

Sikorsky should have been more aware of leaking filters, as the S61 had problems there in the early years.

The 332 family has a more robust screw fitted filter with a simple locking mechanism that is far less prone to human error. I understand that even the original 332L lasted longer on test after a lost of oil than the S-92, the L2 over 3 times as long and the EC255 over 5 times (with the glycol cooling active). Hardly progress from Sikorsky? EC didn't claim credit for the margin on the L2 but did use the 52 minutes test on the EC225 to claim a 30 minute period in the certified Flight Manual as per the EH/AW101.

SM - some interesting terminology about the type being "non-preferred" for a time. I wonder who that was communicated with. I'm not sure the seniors at Shell would want those sorts of statements in the public domain now if they covered up their concerns at the time. Or was that just Shell Aircraft bluster to look proactice when actually they were pretty powerless after finding they had really screwed the pooch by advocating that newer was always better?

ironchefflay
Is this what you think an un-failed gear box looks like? (TSB photos)

Tail rotor take off gear on right as compared to a new pinion on the left