PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-47 civil conversion
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2010, 01:21
pigboat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remmert-Werner were based at Lambert Field and I believe they did mostly conversions to corporate machines. Basically they took an ex-military C-47 or C-53, stripped it and added state of the art radios, w/x radar and a radar nose, single-pane heated windshield, etc. They replaced the Pratt R1830-92 engines with either the -94's or the Pratt R2000's used on the DC-4, or the Wright R1820-56's. The interiors were pretty luxurious, with a center credenza, a couple of single and double club arrangements and a three piece divan or two. Most had two panorama windows a side. We bought CF-ORD from Ford of Canada. It had 18 seats in the above configuration, with the 1350 HP -94 engines and the increased gross weight to 26,900 lbs for passengers. I don't have a pic of it, and I won't bore you with a pic of the model I built of it.

Here's another example of R-W's conversions, this time an ex-C-53 with the R2000 engines.

This airplane was owned by the Quebec Cartier Mining Company, hence the registration, CF-QCM. QCM used to be the Canadian mining arm of US Steel.

Last edited by pigboat; 7th Nov 2010 at 01:55.