PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 6th Nov 2010, 20:47
Hotel Mode
Junior trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow xxxxxx what a really unpleasant post. So unpleasant in fact I was tempted not to respond but because of my professional duty I will try to explain -
Firstly I am not saying mistakes have not been made along this very long road, that would have been an impossible task to deliver. No one - even you - can surely claim to be 100% perfect. But since we released news of Columbus I think our successes have outweighed our minuses. My conscience is very clean on that score.
But for many reasons (some of them impossible to be 100% public about) I believe this recent decision taken to be another plus in the overall bigger picture. Read on

As I have said many times this dispute is just not about BASSA v BA. We have to factor in a third very important party and that is Unite - and that is a political minefield that has to be "played" "nurtured" and "manipulated". No, that is not an ideal situation - I would much rather we were the master of our own destiny (and maybe we will be one day) - but for the duration of this dispute, at least, we have to make do with what we have got. Quite a few reps wanted to reject the deal, myself and Lizanne included, but weighing up the practicalities and the fact Woodley would have been reluctant to give us an IA ballot without taking the deal to the membership, we all agreed after a long debate and vote to remain neutral to enable a consultative process to take place - in contrast to 2007.

Walsh would not have that. We could have then told him where to stick it, but - and this is crucial - in the end the importance of letting YOU tell him where to stick it (if that was what you wanted) swayed the argument and we very reluctantly let the ballot progress with a red ringed "recommendation". We were confident the membership would see why we were doing what we were. We would get to where we want to be albeit it taking a little longer. Now to answer the nasty bit

As for developing some balls - not a phrase I particulary like using but let me tell you something. I have known Lizanne for 35 years, and no stewardess has "bigger balls" - in fact no person I know is as loyal, straight-talking, unafraid and unflinching against all odds. She is plain talking, fearless and probabably the most unselfish, generous person I have ever known. Your post is incredibly insulting and totally unwarranted. You should have been around on the day the Daily Mail plastered her face all over their front page in an attempt to turn the general public against her. She caught the tube to London that day - she had a duty to represent you. That xxxxxx took balls!
As for myself - well I'll just give you facts. I have participated in every strike in BA over the last 35 years and been on every picket line. I have been suspended 4 times, faced three gross misconduct charges - 2 of which I survived. Last time I was not so lucky but I knew what was right and what was wrong and gritted my teeth. So sticking up for my union rights I got dismissed. I knew all along that was my likely fate but because I believed I was in the right and could not let BA dictate to me how and when to conduct my union responsibilties I made the stand. I sacrificed a career because, for the future branch secretaries of BASSA and the future reps - it was the right thing to do and I would do it again tomorrow. And you want me to grow some balls? You do?

Well xxxxxx, the good news for you is that come Dec 2011 - 13 months time - you will be able to display how big your balls are and stand for either Chairman or Branch Secretary because I am not standing and I believe Lizanne too is stepping down. Outsiders ie non reps are quite entitled to step in and stand for the 2 leadership positions, so I will look forward to receiving nominations from those of you who think you could do a better job. Seriously xxxxxxx you seem quite a warrior so give serious consideration to putting your name forward. However, speaking as someone who has been in a hotseat for more than 13 years, let me assure you, whilst the job is stimulating and (

13 months more. 2 years after his dismissal. Talk about clinging on.