PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2010, 15:49
Shell Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the Korean accident was a CFIT in bad weather. Luckily everyone got out before it was destroyed by fire.

I see Horror Box has not supplied further data on the AS332 accidents. While I am a strong believer in the benefits of the latest certification standards I don't recall the 332 familiy rate being as bad as he portrays.

On the matter of certifying to the latest standards, there had been questions within Shell Aircraft's experts over the ‘robustness’ of S92 MRGB certification process. Iin particular that the loss of oil event through filter housing was “extremely unlikely”, implying this this single barrier would be subject to no human error! This was at a time that other S92 MRGB design issues, highlighted by 2 BSP S92 incidents, remained only partially resolved.

This meant that as part of the SAI safety case, contracting limitations were imposed on the S92 type until the way ahead on MGB issues was resolved, with the S92 being decalred a “ non-preferred heavy helo option” with option of operational limitations remaining a possibility.

The good news is that Shell Aircraft's continued engagement with Sikorsky on MRGB improvements has resulted in a return to a safe status quo and their is no justification for all this infantile scaremongering.