PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Instructors who refuse to spin
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2002, 04:21
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muppet

There is nothing wrong with spinning PA38s I do it, the guy who tought me, did it, my examiner for my instructor rating made me do it and I love it. They behave perfectly, enter properly, recover gently, wait....the spin WILL tighten (which I think is where some may faulter) and then recovery occurs.

Sure... another "I've spun a traumahawk and survived" story

But I don't believe there is evidence that the Tomahawk actually passed the FAA's stall/spin recovery tests for initial certification, and if it was to do so today it would fail. The fatality rate for unrecovered spins is several times that of equivalent trainers. I guess at the end of the day its all a risk/reward analysis, which should change if you carry passengers.

I've never spun one, never will (intentionally), but I hear the tail twists and turns quite spectacularly during the maneuver. Have you taken a look behind you, is it as hairy as they say?

To the thread, people should not think they know how to spin an airplane purely because they have the three spins required to get their instructor's ticket. Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Beggs/Muller, or even just letting go of the controls can be a safer approach.