PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any advice for ICAO english test?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 13:55
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
then...
you show up for training at an 'english speaking' Training Center outside your home country for your type rating.
Your documentation, submitted before that training begins, says you have Level 4 English proficiency. (Never mind level 6)
The English speaking instructor starts your training (remember English is his/her 1st language) and it becomes very obvious during briefings, training and debriefings that your English level is less than at least level 4.

What happens?

Well, you stop training, report it to the candidates licensing authority and wait for instructions as to what to do with the trainee and who gets the refund.

Personally? I'd make sure I had the appropriate level of English proficiency unless you train in your home country where most authority figures and examiners could care less about the english language and you intend to spend the majority of your time flying in your home country where English is an unnecessary inconvenience.
Why do I say that?
Because most countries where the primary language isn't English allow their pilots to communicate over VHF comms in their mother tongue and/or English. Backseat english has now been elevated to at least level 4.

Good luck, and safe flying...

Willie