PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HKA/HKE Fleet size
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2010, 04:19
Jamie J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starskate,

I can only repeat, if you do come to HK, get to talk to as many pilots as possible. I know what you mean, there are pilots in every company who complain. Cathay pilots get more than double the HKA pay and conditions but some of them still complain.

But take a look at how many posts there are on "Demise of Hong Kong Airlines" and yet there are only about 72 pilots at HKA compared with 1000's at Cathay. Checking a HKA roster from 2007 shows that only 3 pilots from that roster are still employed by HKA! - that fact also tells a story.

Many pilots struggle to find work, my longest was just over 2 years and with a family it's very tough and can have personal consequences. But as a
"First Officer A330 , 8,200 TT, 2036 on A320" surely other options are starting to appear? Remember, with HKA on your resume, the next job may be harder to find as HKA's bad reputation spreads.

Also, don't expect your positive attitude towards the company to be reciprocated. Chinese business culture is VERY different. To them, you are a cost, an inconvenience and a foreigner (not a good thing) and every contract, every policy, every roster will reflect this attitude.

For more info on HKA, other than pprune, read HK newpaper articles about pilots and cabin crew fighting HKA thru the courts and articles about HKA safety incidents.

So why am I telling you this? Because i don't want others to make the same mistake I did. Yes, I might have a chip on my shoulder but I'm not making anything up and a lot of what I read on "Demise of ..." and other threads, I know is true. Good luck if you come for an interview but leave with your eyes open, talk to pilots (there are lots of ex-HKA pilots still in HKG, at Metrojet, Dragonair and Air Hong Kong), read newpapers, talk to cabin crew, ask the right questions and don't believe managers.