PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 31st Oct 2010, 23:10
yellowdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a complete legal numpty - but googling "industrial action and the law" I can only find references to protected action and being sacked (Employmet Relations Act 2004 I think) - in that it would automatically be unfair. However I can find no reference to any other sanction an employer may care to use. Could you provide a reference please?
I too am a legal numpty, but found this on the "working rights" website. I am not paid to be a judge (lol) nor am I a legal minded person but does removal of ST constitute "disciplinary action"?

Legal Protection for Workers Taking Industrial Action
As long as the procedures have been followed, workers involved in industrial action enjoy the protection of the law. The dispute has to be between specific workers and their employers, which has effectively killed off strikes in sympathy of workers involved in other disputes. The protection that the law offers is against dismissal or other disciplinary action for involvement in industrial action.

After 12 weeks of dispute the legal situation changes. Striking employees can claim unfair dismissal if the company can be shown to not have tried to settle the argument. In addition, workers who gave up the industrial action before the end of the 12 week, period but were subsequently dismissed, can claim unfair dismissal.