PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yes but, do we really need CASA.
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2010, 23:00
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing that is different about CASA is that it is user funded. I can't think of another regulatory body that operates under the user pays system. They have never been accountable for how they use my money or how efficiently they use it. Surely there is a way to collectively demand better performance for our money.

Basically, we fly US built aircraft, using US built radios to communicate in air that isn't aware of which country its over. I agree with Sunfish. There is nothing special about Australia. Except maybe that we have more favorable weather and terrain for aviation than nearly any other country. A fact that is never credited when there is a discussion about safety history.

I just got a Heavy truck licence. You reckon I can't do more damage with a 40t truck than a 2t twin? But the truck licence had no detailed medical, no security checks and overall cost less than an annual CIR renewal and was issues in a fraction of the time CASA took to process my medical.

I don't know what drives CASA, but I'm pretty sure its got nothing to do with safety.