PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 31st Oct 2010, 21:58
El_Presidente

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BGS and modular is a no brainer if you find £85k do be a bit daunting but possible.

The QE splurge is wearing off. Its back to recession and airline failures for the winter. Aer Arran are under 70 days Irish Ch11... The **** is about to re-hit the fan and the recent RYR/EZY/FLYBe hiring that has driven the market at the bottom end and the Dubai/Doha at the top end is going to stop.

Credit is also going only one way from here.

WWW I've always loved reading your optimistic posts...nothing like the Welsh to pee on everyone's BBQ...(love you really)...

Yes QE is over; yes bankers are currently tighter than ducks arses, but...

Populations are expanding, cheap air travel will always be needed, globalisation will see to that, and pilots will retire or lose their med cat. Economies will grow, eventually, and credit will free up once banks have re-paid their debt to the treasury (circa 2012 for LloydsTSB)...I don't see a return to the days of fat cat wages and dolly birds hanging off your arms (well, maybe not yours, but mine perhaps)...but there will always be respectable gainful employment...airline success/failure is cyclical, and very sensitive to immediate economic fluctuations, and always will be.

I get slightly irked when I see chaps and chapesses streaming on about low wages and poor T&Cs/lifestyle etc...£1800 pm with a £75K debt IS restrictive...but whose fault is that. Grass is always greener...pardon the cliché ... amazes me that recruiters consider applications from such individuals – I thought mental agility was a key requirement of the role of PIC!?

I spent 12 yrs in the RAF, on the ground. One third of that was walking foot patrols in smelly places (no, not Slough) for about 25% less pay than one of my grow bag entombed colleagues...I now get spat on, verbally abused, beaten up and generally hated by most of the UK (no, I'm not an Ops Offr), in my current role as a Police Constable... all for the princely sum of £1700 take home pm.

Second career change of the decade, I'm soon to shout out to a well known local Flying Club to ask them to muddle me through a PPL. Yes, I was a geeky Air Cadet who got his glider wings at 16... considering I'm due to blow about £45k of the father in laws’ savings (realistic modular...cheers Col...) on buying my way into the blue yonder, I would happily take home £1800 pm on graduation ... and personally right now (yes my attitude will probably change) I couldn't give a Catholic Bishop whether I'm flying a sky van over Weston, or a 20 yr old 737 to and from Egypt...

Anyhow, much love...