PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 30th Oct 2010, 14:07
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Keel Beam,

I am not a psychology student and I am not a Striker but am one of the crew that did not strike because 1) I could see it would be a waist of time and cost my employer money and 2) I did not agree with how my union (Amicus) was dealing with BA and aligning itself with the militant Bassa.

However when flying with Strikers I get the impression that the Staff Travel issue is what upsets them now the most. I feel many wanted the claim, that it was unfair to remove it from them, to go to court and believe that if they accept this offer, which expressly forbids any court cases, that wont then happen.

Bassa has constantly made them believe that it was their right to strike and coupled with the fact that an employer is not supposed to discriminate against anyone taking industrial action, many do feel that they have been discriminated against and it is a feeling of injustice that is driving many of them.

I have no idea if it was legal or not to remove Staff Travel but personally I wish it had not been removed and could be returned but I also realise that that would make Willie Walsh look weak and also remove a powerful trump card from him in the event of any other workers threatening to strike.

My advice to fellow crew that striked would be to accept this current offer and hope that their staff travel will get returned sooner. Of course as I cannot put myself in their shoes it is easy for me to say that because I am not feeling the resentment and hurt, that many of them are feeling whether it be rightly or wrongly.