PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You are off radar
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2010, 13:41
malecontrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
novation, for some of the questions the answer is no for some yes

When I said sequencing I didn't mean vectors and application of speed. We don't vector as I have said before in an earlier post in this thread. We control a Class D control zone. So it's like, ABC you are number 3 behind the twin otter on final. And ABC traffic twin otter to your right or your 2 o'clock at 7 miles. I mean the same aerodrome stuff...but we get to use a radar monitor to monitor traffic and provide traffic info with much accuracy than before when we did procedural.

And yes I have not received any radar training - none of us aerodrome controllers here, that should explain the limited amount of knowledge.

What we do here is may be illegal I am not really sure because I don't really know how radars are used in aerodromes. Our approach surveilance controllers are fully trained and rated on radar. So when we get a radar monitor up in the TWR and are told to use it the questions comes to mind, 'OK how do we use it?', because there was no training. That's the reason I am asking you guys seemingly stupid questions. But I assure you we are not doing anything dangerous, at least so far. Illegal? May be.

Spitoon has given a ref. to an ICAO doc (how do you quote here ) where it says how can radar be used in aerodromes. Do we need a rating to do that too?