PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You are off radar
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2010, 11:11
malecontrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all

Ours is an SSR

HD, well we don't have ground radar, our aerodrome is too tiny for that. When I said sequencing I was talking about the VFR twin otters that we control who land on a lagoon just next to the main runway. We don't provide any sort of approach control from the TWR. We have an endorsement in our lincenses that says, RAD which is equal to aerodrome radar but we were never trained for this - now do you see any politics there?

Like I said before, our CTZ is 20 miles in radius, so we cannot really see a lot of traffic that we control. So, HD do you mean that we cannot use radar even to provide traffic information and to sequence arriving VFR traffic unless we are fully rated radar controllers?

Spitoon, thank you very much. But what is the purpose or reason for saying trffic believed to be.....I mean isn't it clear that he is who you think who he is by the tranponder code? We never identify those traffic, we just shout the callsign and, for an example, tell them you got trffic to your right or 2 o'clock at 10 miles or you are number two in the sequence behind someone. Do yo mean this cannot be done unless I hold a radar rating? In our aerodrome all the VFR traffic have pre-assigned transponder codes and they always use the same code. When they are airborne we mannually input the callsign (which is also the rgistration of the ACFT) corresponding to the code.

This is a hell more complicated than I thought it would be....phew.