PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 29th Oct 2010, 18:59
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss M and friends.

You say you want written contractual undertakings from BA. Might I ask if BASSA have a written, contractual, non-negotiable undertaking from Unite that in the event that the membership reject the consultative ballot, regardless of the size of the majority or the turnout, that Unite will then allow a strike ballot to be held immediately.

You see I bet they don't. Which leads me to my next question. Why are you determined to attempt to get some sort of 'cast iron' guarantee from BA when you don't seek anything like that from your union leaders. If it is a question of trust, might I remind you that Tony Woodley was accused of selling BASSA down the river in 2007, yet you still appear to trust that he will secure a strike ballot for you. He and your representatives have openly stated that the deal on the table is the best that Unite are able to get in the current circumstances. If they believe that a better offer is not going to happen, why are youy hell bent on rejecting it ? There comes a point in any negotiation when one side has to reckon that they aren't going to get any more out of the other and has to settle.

BASSA have been offered
  • a pay rise
  • a return of staff travel with seniority back in 2013
  • a deal on allowances.
Unite have agreed that the manning levels are not an issue.
It would be ridiculous of BA to create a whole host of purser and CSD positions if the current fleet size does not warrant them.You'd wind up with pursers reporting to pursers and CSD's reporting to CSDs. Crew have been very quick to denounce the layers of management within BA yet you seem to want to create exactly that within the cabin crew community.

BASSA seem t obe unable to put into words exactly what they are now looking for. I'll bet if I asked ten different cabin crew members who all went on strike what they wanted from BA I would get ten very different answers. If your executive cannot put together a cogent arguement then really you have to ask what is it all about. More importantly, if the executive cannot provide a convincing reason to continue this dispute, should you be supporting them. If the offer gets rejected what are cabin crew going to do. Strike ? If less than half the membership can be bothered to vote in a consultative ballot, what odds will you give that any more will be prepared to walk out again ? If only 3500 (the number who rejected that last offer) crew go on strike, what effect will that have on BA's operation. That would mean over two thirds of cabin crew would work normally. Back that up with Mixed fleet who incidentally start work on Monday, plus the volunteers. BA will run 100% of all services. Effect on operation ? Zero. Effect on forward bookings ? Reckon that will be minimal - I'd like to think zero, but there will always be a few who swallow the BASSA rhetoric. Effect on striking crew ? Loss of pay, loss of staff travel, plus anyone who severely steps out of line can reckon on getting a P45. I doubt that BA will wish to go in for wholesale sackings as this might give Unite a lever. I can see that there will be a mass exodus from the union though and Unite could then face the real prospect of derecognition. BA will step up performance management and any staff who are not p to scratch will find themselves being shown the door. It will be a long grind, but BASSA will either have to learn a new trick or whither. Your choice.