PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You are off radar
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2010, 13:49
malecontrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your input.

Looks like I have to first answer a lot of questions before I will have my answer

Let me try to make you guys understand.

Here what I am talking about is radar monitoring. We have 20DME radius control zone, Class D airspace. 95% or more of the traffic we handle are VFR twin otters (DHC-6) with floats - seaplanes. And in our CTZ we have 360 two way routes in and out (sarcasm) - there are no specific routes for VFR. And it isn't unusual to have more than 30 - 35 ACFT airborne at the same time in this CTZ.

In December 2008 we got radar. Before that it was all procedural and our CTZ was not exactly a safe place to fly with that many traffic. Once the radar systems were installed we were told (aerodrome controllers) that there is nothing in existence called an aerodrome radar, thus we were never trained for radar monitoring. (You must have understood by now that a lot of politics go here).

So as aerodrome controllers we don't vector, we are not trained radar controllers, we don't hold radar ratings. So this means we really can't use many or any of the radar phraseologies that radar controllers use, right? We were told by our very senior controllers that radar identification cannot be done by aerodrome unless a radar service is provided. They are very rarely right but I believe in this case they are. So what should I tell the pilot when in mid-air his transponder goes down or I lose him on the radar screen for some reason? And how can I let him know when he pops back up? Clearly 'IDENTIFIED' is a forbidden word.

NZScion, in Australia, Identification Terminated, is that a phraseology used in towers similar to us?

Some of you might find these as stupid questions but I got to find answers because we are very very under-trained.