PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Humour (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2010, 02:18
Orvilles dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back in time (to 1971) to my first solo X Country - Middleton St. George (MME) as it was then, to Yeadon (LBA) - can even remember the aircraft - G-AXUA Beagle Pup 100.

Approaching LBA, lots of radio traffic so desperately trying to tell them I was approaching. It became clear the reason for the delay was an American voice with a call sign MATS XXX - later realised US military (saw the aircraft on the ground) presumably flying ice cream into the nearby Menwith Hill Earth Station. He'd probably flown the Atlantic and had just about enough aviating for the day.

Seems the tie up was that he was trying to negotiate a straight in, but ATC was having none of it. I managed to jump in with a call and was given #1 to land. US friend came back with another request for a straight in but he was told no, you are #2 to land, following the Beagle Pup 100.

This didn't go down well, so another call was made pleading for a straight in. Controller clearly drew himself up to his maximum height and said "MATS, negative straight in, you are #2 - unless you are declaring an emergency!"

Came back lightning fast, in a broad Texan accent "Sir, every time I fly, its an emergency...". Laughter from the Controller - straight in given and I was demoted to #2 to land.

OD