PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2010, 20:08
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GrahamK
fozi, I believe the two class 772s of EK are similar to the A332s with regards entertainment...
I don't believe this is necessarily true Graham. Insofar as I know the 777's all have various versions of the AVOD systems i.e. you watch / listen to what you want when you want. I presume we are discussing coach here (other classes offer more comprehensive products).
The A330's have the more basic system where there are a small number of films that go around in a loop. The films in the loop change over monthly, there are about 6 loops containing different films but you only get the choice from two loops on any particular flight hence they are able to separate West / Eastbound & remove content that may be sensitive to particular routes. Similarly with the audio, you can't construct your own library on the A330's. As for the 777's then there are various versions of the AVOD basically depending upon the age of the aircraft, but all I believe offer some choice to watch what one wants stop/start to allow for meals etc. The most modern 777's in the fleet the 772LR's have possibly the best ICE of any ecconomy offering & with the newer style seats then you also get a larger screen thrown in.
Now interestingly the 772's that have been recently mentioned are the oldeset models in the fleet (even older than the A330's!), and at >14 years then possibly there may be some upgrading due to bring up to latest versions. There are actually only 9 772's in any event of which 4 are the higher powered ER versions. How this fits into the matrix as to the cabin configs of 2 / 3 class then who knows?
Anyhow the Flyertalk argument is completely flawed as ZRH currently has 773's on the DXB ! Is likely for NCL to get any 772 version? then IF it does then it can only be the 772ER which has the enhanced engines and better airfield performance. Now how many of the 4 of these machines are 2 class ? Note all other UK provincials now have 773ER's which also have enhanced airfied performance.
Interestingly when I first posted that I'd heard that EK were serious as to introducing the 777 to NCL, then the source at EK which has proved reliable so far intimated that a significant issue was the availability of the only ONE specific version of the 777 that was considered suitable to NCL's runway restrictions. So then perhaps we are to see a max of 4 772ER's operating the route.