PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA sacks 7,000
Thread: AA sacks 7,000
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2002, 19:29
Elliot Moose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please keep in mind that the ONLY cost advantage held by RJ's is in the cockpit. The non-crew-related CASM for an RJ is the same as a 757.
Yes, but the difference is that you only have to fill 50 seats on an RJ vs ??? on the 757. If a CRJ takes off on an hour long trip and has only 15 pax, you lose out based on 2200lbs of fuel burned. How do you make out on the 757 (and don't say that they don't fly with this many people on them because they do--i.e. Sept 11).
More importantly though, look at what the RJ's are replacing across the system. Old generation 737's, DC9's (and their variants), F100's, etc. Those things can't compare in the CASM analysis to an RJ or a 757, and that's why they are going.

Somebody suggested that you don't gain much by replacing an 87 seat F100 with a CRJ 700. Let's see. An average 60% load on an F100 would be 52 (ish) pax. Those same 52 on the RJ makes a load of 74% on a CRJ700 and 100% (if you boot off the couple of w@nkers that were flying for free on airmiles or passes) on a 200 series. If there's always 60 or 70 on board one of these routes, then the F100 or 737-200 may be just the ticket, but if not, the airlines must, in this day and age put on an aircraft that fits the route exactly. What is the alternative with requirement to still make a profit? One long haul in a turboprop (or more likely two, due to a changeover at a hub).

Now I know many have their panties in a bunch over what the RJ guys make, vs the mainline folks. Right now Comair is in the black if 16 people get on any one of their flights (this was the last number I got--correct me if I'm wrong). So, show some solidarity with them and get their wages up. Even if the costs at the pointy end go up to more reasonable rates, they still have a good profit. OR....Maybe the mainline folks should be pushing for more RJ flying for themselves instead!

Just a thought......