PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 28th Oct 2010, 14:22
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I do know is that any company prepared to announce obnoxious pay rises for senior management when the company is apparently on its knees with a huge pension fund deficit is not behaving in a responsible manner.
I'm not a 'regular' passenger as I work for the company. My comments and opinions are, naturally, my own. The sad fact is that many people attack the management (of which I am not one) for their 'bonuses' in the same way that they attack Bankers for theirs without realising the contract structure inherent within major corporations today.

Irrespective of what might be happening with a small minority of employees the Senior Management has a contracted responsibility to the Board for the continued growth of the company returning an investment gain to the shareholders. In order to achieve that growthand thus their bonuses they must hit specific, performance related targets. The Senior Management at BA, Willie Walsh and Kieth Williams have both surpassed what was contracturally required for them to receive their 'bonuses'. The standard pay packet for both men is below market average and the bonuses are only levied upon productivity. Considering that BA has come out of the current recession in a fairly good position with the ability to call on forward investments is testimony to good 'corporate' leadership. Personally, as an employee, I say good luck to them, they work damn hard and probably deserve it, in order for us to have it then we also need to move toward a meritocracy and performance related pay. If I want the same then I apply. I don't so I won't.

The CC dispute is something else entirely. As a passenger it is difficult to understand the longevity and scope of the current dispute without understanding how long BASSA have held the reigns of power and how deeply they have occasionally affected the operations of aircraft throughout the world.

So, please, discuss away but allow ALL posters the ability to put their opinions forward and never compare what is occuring here, in a private company, to that which happened to the miners in the 1980's.