PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 27th Oct 2010, 12:47
Snas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct, but the 1970's rhetoric is not relevant today
Whilst I would agree with that in regards to the TU movement of today, once again with this IA and this union branch specifically we have seen a fair bit of exactly that sort of past played out again, the “I’ll fight until the company dies” kinda’ crap.

Balance is good, and you provide more of that than would be here otherwise but it’s going to be an eternal struggle in this thread whilst referring to this branch, NOT that I’m suggesting you give up however. It’s all interesting after all.

For lunch time light relief I’ll provide an example for you from my own home: -

I have always been politically active and standing more on the left certainly, in favour of unions and always have been. Not that I have ever been a member of one but as an employer my workforce once numbered over 2,000, employ that many and you appreciate a good union I can promise you.

Now, my partner, CC 15 years, never really politically minded and certainly not a union person. Was a CC89 member, because that’s what you did at Gatwick, where she started.

Now if I attempt to start the “Unions can be a force for good” discussion she opens the BASSA home page on her lap top, points it at me and walks away without saying a word – and the argument is hers, I have to concede defeat.

BASSA is her only direct experience of unions, so she’s lost to the idea forever.

Last edited by Snas; 27th Oct 2010 at 13:04.