PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 26th Oct 2010, 22:32
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Papillon
Closed shops were abolished because they are fundamentally undemocratic, and within living memory were one element of unions abusing their power. You've made no good argument for why an individual should be forced to join a union at their own expense. That might be your point of view, as you put it, but don't expect everyone else to simply regard it as reasonable.
Perhaps I didn't make a good argument for why an individual should be forced to join a union, because I wasn't making that argument....Read the post again....I merely pointed out that if you were in a closed shop with compulsory voting you would have voted for another candidate rather than DH. So possibly he wouldn't have been in office.
You were also wrong (again) in your assumption that I would expect everyone to regard the closed shop as reasonable.
I've been around members and non members for a long enough to know the varying views and reasons for people joining or not joining a Trade Union. Very few use the 70's as an argument because they understand the current legislation...