PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions III
Old 26th Oct 2010, 22:01
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs

FWIW the standard BA contract for all staff (bar senior management) indicates that collective bargaining is the norm and is conducted with the various sectional panels. I joined the company shortly after the closed shop was kicked into touch. I had the option of joining a trade union at that point, but couldn't see that they really helped me. I'd previously been employed in the newspaper business at one point and had seen the way that unions had managed to perpetuate some outrageous practices in that area. I'd also lived through the three day week, miners' strike etc. No small wonder that I had a view that unions seemed to be hell bent on holding companies back. Unions might have been seeking justice for their members, but they had also been targetting the rest of the population in a bid to bring pressure on employers.

So yes, I benefit from whatever deal the union strikes with management. The flip side of that coin is that the agreement means I lose any right to personally negotiate pay and bonuses with the company direct. If the deal on offer at any point in time is unacceptable, I exercise my right to seek gainful employment elsewhere. As far as disciplinary matters are concerned, I have no intention of putting myself at odds with company procedures. Maybe I'm fortunate in that my chosen field of work is one which has a reasonably high demand across industries.