PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G day workers
Thread: G day workers
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2010, 20:56
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Old Fella, I'm in my third decade with the company myself,and I'm sure that you recall the advertisement depicting the 747 in the cruise with Barry White's 'Love's Theme' playing, the scones, jam and cream served to the First Class passengers on Australia flights (yep, First Class is long gone, there), all flight crew on A scales with some respect for management, decent profit sharing, a piss-up at the boss's house on the Peak every six months and in return we worked the occasional G day and even volunteered to help out during typhoons .

But this is PPrune and I still like the occasional whinge so here goes; I like to whinge about:

Continued attacks on flight crew conditions of service since the start of Red Oddington's tenure

'Sign or be fired' (which by management admission cost the shareholders half a billion, and indirectly led to the appalling and expensive 49ers situation, which is STILL going on in the courts) from David Downturn

Little Philip turning what was once 'Asia's Airline' (remember the ads emphasising 'our flight attendants are from ten (then eleven) different Asian lands'?) into 'Mong Kok Airlines'

And now the war on its crews continues from current management, who have also continued to let what was once a world-beating airline, what could have been Asia's airline, identifying with 2/3 of the population of the planet, slide into a nondescript 'niche' carrier offering dreadful seats, linguistically- and culturally-challenged contract cabin crew, catering a shadow of its former self, and cadet pilots who haven't done the hard yards anywhere with the prospect of having to land the whole shebang in a Typhoon 3.

And the young guys and gals with me in the cockpit, putting up with the B.S. we were once paid A-scale to put up with, Commands now determined by 'dead mens' shoes', and many of them trying to raise families on B, C, and Z scales have certainly got a lot more than I have to whinge about, so at least grant them that privilege.

All in all, a crying bloody shame.

Last edited by Captain Dart; 25th Oct 2010 at 22:28.