PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imperial Airways fort at Rutbah Wells
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2010, 13:00
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what's confusing matters here is the DC2 crash mentioned in Wikipedia -

During British administration, Rutbah Wells, as it was then known, was a stop-over for Imperial Airways on flights from Britain to India and the Gulf Region. ....... travellers who stopped lodged in a fort. (‘forget’ note - see below.) 16 kilometers South of Rutbah (Rutbah Wells, in 1934), the famous aircraft... "Uiver" a DC-2 type from KLM, crashed here on its first flight after the MacRobertson Air Race in December 1934 on its way to Indonesia.
In Wiki the full stop after 'fort' is easily missed so it (wrongly) reads - travellers who stopped lodged in a fort 16 Kilometers South of Rutbah (Rutbah Wells, in 1934).

As I see it, the fort was at Rutbah Wells; the DC2 crashed 16K South of Rutbah Wells.

I see that RAF Tornado ZA467 crashed here on 22 Jan 1991. Possible NVG problems, AAA night flashes might have caused distractions - suspected that they might have impacted with ground on break manoeuvre. What were they attacking? The strip?

ASN Aircraft accident 22-JAN-1991 Panavia Tornado GR1 ZA467

PS.If you're reeeally keen to get info on Rutbah Wells I'd try to contact someone with BA or KLM archives.